1. Because prices of food and clothing and almost everything else in that country have steadily gone up, the buying______of the dollar has gone down.
A. energy B. force C. power D. strength
2. Many students signed up for the_____race in the sports meeting to be held next week.
A. 800-metre-long B. 800-metres-long C. 800 metre length D. 800 metres length
3. If it was not an accident, he must have done it_____.
A. on purpose B. in common C. on occasion D. in time
4. _____everyone can hear the speaker there is no _____of turning up the radio.
A.Now that; point B. Even if; point C. Now that; need D. Even if; need
Key: A 因为need用法用for
① There’s no need for you to start yet.
② There’s a great need for a new book on the subject.
5. It snowed heavily for three days_____and they were separated from the outside world.
A. in the end B. on end C. by the end D. at the end
Key: B on end 直立，竖立 连续地 They argued for two hours on end
His hair stands on end.
6. Shelly had prepared carefully for her English examination so that she could be sure of passing it on her first _____.
A. intention B. attempt C. purpose D. desire
Key: B attempt 尝试
7. In order to learn the _____of the family business, Bill took a job as messenger boy in one of the offices.
A. ins and outs B. dos and don’ts C. heads and tails D t’s and i’s
Key: A the ins and outs of sth. 细节、详情、始末
另： dot one’s i's and cross one’s t’s 一丝不敬地完成任务
8．Being poor, she had to borrow a new_____so as to attend the party.
A. cloth B. clothes C. clothing D. dress
9. I tried every_____to make him give up smoking.
A. mean B. ways C. meaning D. means
Key: D way 作“方式、手段、方法”解时，常用单数，等于method
10. Yesterday I was invited to the dinner at invited to the dinner at _____.
A. Turners B. the Turners C. Turners’ D. The Turners’
Key: D 在……住处 “’”
11. ----Who did you spend last weekend with?
A. Palmer’s B. The Palmers’ C. The palmers D. The palmer’s
Key: C the 姓+s 一家人
12. Cloning the sheep ----Dolly is a big_____ in science.
A. progress B. run C. jump D. rush
Key: C a big jump 一个大的进步、进展
13． _____Knowledge of English is a must in international trade.
A. the B. / C. A D. An
Key: C a knowledge of 某一方面的知识
14. I don’t think the two parties can_____agreement in the near future.
A. arrive B. reach C. reach for D. arrive at
Key: B reach agreement 达成一致
15．It is very difficult to _____his mind because he is always changing his mind.
A. see B. read C. understand D. find
Key: B read one’s mind 了解某人的心思
16．This kind of clothes are out of_____nowadays.
A. month B. year C. season D. week
Key: C in season 合时的， out of season 不合时宜的、落伍的
17.If you get the job you’ll have to make business _____everywhere now and then.
A. journeys B. travels C. trips D. adventure
18. Pop music is loved by lots of people, but it is not everyone’s ____.
A. taste B. favor C. sound D. smell
19. Food and____ are very important to us all.
A. clothes B. cloth C. clothing D. dress
many|these|a few|my clothes √ two clothes ×
food, clothing and shelter 衣、食、住
a piece of clothing √ 一件衣服
a suit of clothes √ clothing × 一套衣服
He doesn’t care much about dress.
working dress, student dress, a dress
20. As soon as their party come into____ they changed the law.
A. force B. power C. strength D. energy
Key: B 执政 in power 掌握政权 nuclear power 核动力
Force “效力”“效果”“冲动（爆炸，风暴） strength “体力”
The laws came into force. (生效) the force of nature 自然力量
21. In the 2004 Shanghai Industrial Fair, ____electronic equipment, good in both qulity and style, will be shown.
A. a large number of B. a good many C. masses of D. supply of
Key: C masses of =a mass of 接可数或不可数名词，表示“一团，一块”“大量”
22．As is known to us, theory is based on practice and ____servers practice.
A. by chance B. in turn C. in return C. by turn
Key: B “依次，又转过来”
23．____a fire, hotel guests are asked to remain calm.
A. As a result of B. In the event of C. By reason of D. In the time of
Key: B in the event of =in case of=in time of 万一，倘若
24． ----How do you deal with disagreements between the company and the customers?
----They key ____the problem is to meet the demand____ by the customers.
A. to solving; making B. to solving; made
C. to solve; making D. to solve; made
25. ----Sorry, Michelle is a little shy.
----Never mind, I ____be that way when I was____ her age.
A. would, at B. used to, × C.would, × D. used to, at
Key: B be one’s age 在某某年龄时
26．He is a member of our____.
A. brain power B. brains power C. brain powers D. brains powers
Key: C 复合名词的复数，一般在主体名词后加s
27. He is ____doctor at all. Don’t trust him.
A. no B. not C. any D. a
Key : A no doctor 算不上，医术不精
1. ____British people always talk about____weather.
A. the; the B. / ,/ C. /; the D. the; /
2.As is known to all,____ tiger is in____ danger of dying out.
A. a; a B. the; / C. a; / D. the; the
3.He had decided to give it up , but on____ second thoughts he decided to try___
A. the; a B. / ; / C. a; a D. / ; a
Key: D second thoughts 转念一想，再次考虑得出的想法。
例: Second thoughts are best.
4.They have their reasons for keeping their marriage___ secret for ___ moment.
A. the; a B. the; the C. a; the D. a; a
Key: C. for the moment 暂时
5．A non-smoker can hardly imagine__ pleasure of having__ smoke after a meat.
A. 1, a B. a, a C. the, a D.1,1
6.His uncle gave him books to read, but after a page or two he would put __book down and pick up__ new one.
A. the,/ B. a; a C. a; the D. the; a
7.She studies ___ medicine before she turned ___ writer.
A. ×; × B. the, a C. ×; a D. the; ×
8.Andeison entered the classroom, ____book in ___hand.
A. ×, his B.×, × C. a, × D. a, the
Key. B 独立结构,名词前不加任何冠词
1. With all the magazine he needed____ ,he left the library.
A. borrowing B. borrowed C. borrow D. to borrow
2. With a lot of problems____ , the VS troops are having a hard time in Iraq.
A. settled B. being settled C. settling D. to settle
3.___ Sunday, rather than_____at home, I preferred_____.
A. It being; say; to travel B. Being; to stay; to travel
C. It being; stay; travel D. It was; to stay; traveling
4. The party was successful, but we thought it a pity not_____you.
A. invite B. to invite C. inviting D. to have invited
5. Which do you enjoy_____your spare time, playing cards at home or taking a walk in the park?
A. spending B. to spend C. having spent D. to have spent
6._____for the terrible accident, as the public thought, the major felt nervous and at a loss what to do.
A. Having blamed B. To blame C. Being to be blamed D. Being to blame
Key: D 析： be to blame for 习语，对……负责任，应受责备
7. With the weather conditions_____, they flew to London immediately.
A. considered B. considering C. to consider D. to be considered
8. ---Shall we go swimming? ---Ok, I’ll just go and get_____.
A. changed B. to change C. to be changed D. changing
9. ---Shall we discuss the problem at the meeting today?
---We’d better not. _____,the problem isn’t so burning. What’s more, the manager won’t be back until tomorrow.
A. Begun with B. Beginning with C. To begin with D. Being begin with
10. You’ll find the word "psychology"_____ under "P" in your dictionary.
A. being list B. list C. listed D. listing
Key: C 析： list listed listed 规则变化
11. There are waiting-rooms in the new station, _____about 1,000 passengers.
A. seating B. sat C. seated D. sitting
Key: A seat 容纳
12. Its this TV set which you wish_____?
A. to have it repaired B. to repair C. to have repaired D. will be repaired
13._____his father had come, his face lit up.
A. Having heard B. When he heard C. Hearing D. When hearing
14. His remarks left me_____about his real purpose.
A. wonder B. wondering C. to wonder D. wondered
Key: B leave| set | get …doing 使……起来
15. She is not worth _____.
A. to get angry B. getting angry C. getting angry with D. to get angry with
1. From what I learn about their hotel, the service and the weather, they ____their holiday very much.
A. couldn’t have enjoyed B. shouldn’t have enjoyed
C. needn’t have enjoyed D. can’t have enjoyed
2. I____have written to him because he phoned me shortly afterwards.
A. ought to B. must C. couldn’t D. needn’t
3. It’s said that there are plenty of hotels in that town. There____be any difficulty for you to find somewhere to stay.
A. wouldn’t B. mustn’t C. shouldn’t D. needn’t
Key: C 表示估计
4. The poor boy____the test again; in that case, his mother will be very disappointed.
A. must have failed B. might fail C. could have failed D. should fail
5. ---Look! The clouds are gathering.
---Yes. I’m afraid it____be pouring down soon.
A. can B. must C. should D. might
6. ---Are you still going to Shanghai for the Spring Festival?
---Yes, but I really____ because I have a lot of things to deal with.
A. can’t B. mustn’t C. won’t D. shouldn’t
Key: D 关键词 still
7. ---Let’s see if the basketball game has started yet.
---Started? It must be clear who____by now.
A. is winning B. wins C. has won D. would win
Key: A by now =by this time
8. It is very kind of you to do the washing-up, but you____ it.
A. mustn’t have done B. wouldn’t have done
C. mightn’t have done D. didn’t have to do
9. I wish it ____be fine tomorrow.
A. is going to B. will C. should D. would
10. ---I hear you’ve got a set of valuable Australian coins, ____I have a look?
A. Do B. May C. Shall D. should
Key: B 许可
Shall I /we …? 用以提出建议。
Shall I drive? 我来开车好吗？ Shall I do the wasking-up? 我来洗餐具好吗？
11. It’s nearly seven o’clock. Jack____be here at any moment. =soon “很快”
A. shall B. need C. should D. can
12. Jim should be at home. (现在推测) “可能”“该”“按理论”试探性推断
He should arrive at noon. (将来推测)
A) Can 某人或某物一时的特点，“有时会”特有的行动或情形
In winter, the winds can be pretty cold. 也可看成是表示客观事实 又如 Reading can be fun
He can be very friendly at times. (有时会很友好)
B) can “可能”用在肯定句中表示种理论上的可能=will 而may现实上可能。
13. Our house is on the top of the hill, and in winter the winds____be pretty cold.
A. must B. ought to C. can D. need
Key: C can 同为表某一物或某一人某一时的特有情形或行为，而ought to 只表推测，上句是讲述情形
14. don’t search my book case for your CD-player! Just look where it ____be in the drawer, in your schoolbag, or somewhere else like that.
A. may B. can C. must D. will
Key: A may 事实上的可能性
15. ---Answer the doorbell, please. It must be your uncle.
---It ____Heidi. She’s coming over this morning to help me with my math.
A. is B. can’t be C. could be D. will be
1. I really don’t want to go to the Party, but I don’t see how I can_____ it.
A. get back from B. get out of C. get away D. get off
2. Being much too far, Maria was advised to reduce her food for each meal, yet she would_____that.
A. have none of B. accept C. take care of D. listen to
3. Readers can_____quite well without knowing the exact meaning of each word.
A. get over B. get in C. get along D. get through
4. The death of her dog made her sad, and it took a long time to_____it.
A. put off B. get down C. get over D. come across
Key: C get over 克服、战胜、恢复常态
5. The captain told the sailors to_____their sprits when they were on the point of giving up.
A. keep up B. pick up C. take on D. go on
Key: A keep up 保持、维持
6. They always lay_____a large supply of tinned food in winter in case they are snowed up.
A. out B. off C. in D. with
Key: C lay in àlay up 储存 lay in food /coal
7. He used to be very shy but he has grown_____ it now.
A. without B. over C. away D. out of
Key: D grow out of …年龄增长不再做…
8. The doctor thinks he will pull_____now. His temperature has gone down.
A. together B. through C. over D. around
Key: B pull through | round 恢复知觉或康复
9：It’s your turn to_____the tale
A. Pick up B. carry up C. Put up D. take up
Key: D take up
10. Sports and games can _____our bodies
bring up B. set up C. put up D. build up
Key: D. build up our bodies.
11. As we grow older, birthdays seem to _____more quickly than when we were children.
A. come in B. come around C. come out D. come over
Key: B come around 来到、发生= come round
Christmas seems to come around quicker every year.
12. The boy was made to_____the explanation(解释，说明 process of explaining) .
A. speak B. tell C. repeat D. say
Key: C A,D 不直接接内容， tell 告知
13. Tom,_____yourself. Did you forget the school rules?
A. behave B. believe C. perform D. conduct
Key: A 举止或行为表现
Behave yourself, children!
14. ---Mum, it is nice weather. I want to skate this afternoon.
---Don’t you think the ice on the lake is too thin to_____your weight?
A. stand B. bear C. catch D. take
Key: B bear: (1)支撑; (2)=stand | endure 容忍
The ice is too thin to bear your weight.
15. --- Not getting that job was a big bet down.
---Don’t worry. Something better will_____.
A. come along B. take on C. go by C. fall behind
Key: A come along (1)到达、出现 appear (2)=come on
16. ----When did the concert_____?
---Well, two or three years ago?
A. happen B. take place C. hold D. start
17. He offered to_____her a hand as the suitcase was too heavy for her to carry.
A. hold B. show C. lend D. borrow
Key: C lend | give sb. A hand (with…) 在……帮助某人
18. It was so noisy outside that he couldn’t_____ down to read.
A. settle B. put C. sit D. lie
Key: A settle down vi. 舒适地坐或躺
vt. settle sb. Down （使sb ）安心
Wait until the children settle down before you start the lesson.
Uncle George didn't settle down until he was nearly fifty.
19. Have a good rest, you need to _____your energy for the tennis match this afternoon.
A. have B. save C. hold D. get
Key: B save
20. Historical experience can_____as a most important source of information.
A. serve B. use C. regard D. prove
(1) vi., vt. 为……工作 serve as a gardener
(2) vi., vt. 服役、供职 serve in the army server under sb.
(3) vi., vt. 供……饭茶，将……摆上桌 serve coffee
(4) vi., vt. 满足（需要），达到（目的）This room can serve for/as a study.
21. This is a story completely _____by him, so don’t rust him.
A. discovered B. invented C. found D. known
Key: B invent a story 编故事
22. It is much easier to talk about social change than to_____.
A. bring it on B. bring it about C. bring it up D. bring it out
Key: B 使……发生 A. 引起，有助于 C. 扶育大 D. 显示，揭露
23. The store had to_____a number of clerks because sales were down.
A. lay out B. lay off C. lay aside D. lay down
Key: B lay off （暂时）解雇 lay out 安排、布置 l
ay aside 储存 lay down 放下、规定
24．A dark blue design will not_____on a blackboard.
A. clear up B. go up C. show up D. pick up
Key: C show up 颜色衬得分明、清晰
25. He_____20 dollars for his old bike the other day.
A. paid B. took C. spent D. offered
Key: B take 接受、得到、获得 例： take the first place
take fish 抓、捕 take my pen 拿走、取走 take this cap 买下
take a cup of tea 吃、喝 take a bus 搭（车、船）
take us a week to finish 需要、花费 take this passage 理解、领会
26. ---Are you ready to leave?
---Almost, I’ll be ready to go just as soon as I _____putting the clean dishes away.
A. get through B. give up C. carry out D. set about
Key: A 完成
27. ---Bob’s _____the branches from the tree. Go and_____ for firewood. Bill!
---Do you think I’m really_____ for his kind of work?
A. cut away; cut it up; cut through B. cut off; cut it down; cut out
C. cut away; cut it up; cut out D. cut off; cut it down; cut out
Key: C be cut out for sth. = be cut to be
(1) 有……的素质 He is not cut out for teaching= is to be a teacher
(2) 相匹配 John and Mary are cut out for each other.
欢迎光临 中学生学习网 (http://www.xuexibbs.com/bbs/)
Powered by Discuz! X2.5